The packages are designed to be chosen by levels of damage to your floors. For example: Our Deep Clean & Polish Package is geared towards surface contaminates (dust, dirt, wax & other residues) whereas, the Abrade & Recoat Package is needed when there is damage to the floor's finish (surface scratches, scuff marks, peeling) VS Full Refinishing that is best suited for extreme wear, color loss, and deep scratches/gouges in the wood planks. If you have any questions, we will be more than happy to have a wood specialist assist you in choosing which package is best suited for your needs!
When pricing for refinishing there are a couple factors that effect the price:
1. How much square footage you have - In this industry, the more square footage you have the less you pay per square foot. Prices typically start at $3.00-$3.50 per square foot. If you have less than 800 square feet the price per square foot may increase.
2. What type of floors you have - Regular Solid Plank Hardwood Floors will not increase the pricing! Prefinished and Engineered Hardwood Floors cost more per square foot due to the skill and time it takes to sand them. These types of floors have aluminum oxide finish which is extremely thick and hard to sand.
3. Damage to the floors - Extreme damage can raise the cost of your refinishing. If you have planks that are water-damaged (stained black) or severely cupped/crowned more sanding may be required.
If you have over 800 square feet of solid plank hardwood flooring with normal wear and tear you would most likely be looking at $3.50 per square foot plus shoe moulding replacement.
Our prices are very competitive by industry standards. A lot of our competitors only offer full refinishing & replacement options. Hardwood Floor Restore was started specifically to give our clients alternative options that save not only your floors, but your time & a lot of money! We also offer financing to help our clients pay over time instead of all up front! Up to 60 months 0% APR for those who qualify. It does not effect or pull your credit to see your loan options!
There are a couple of reasons why we need to replace the shoe moulding/quarter round:
1. When we try to remove your old shoe moulding it is usually extremely brittle and doesn't come off without breaking or cracking.
2. If we try to leave shoe moulding on it is very hard to stain the floors right up to it/slightly underneath - we don't want the old stain to be visible
3. If we have to sand off a substantial amount of wood there will be gap in between the shoe and the floor. We remove the old shoe so that the new shoe will sit flat on the newly sanded floor.
Both types of finishes have the same durability! Having a strong finish is more about the quality of finishes used than the type of finish. We use premium commercial grade products!
1. Has an amberizer - This brings out the yellow and red tones of the wood. Can give the floor a beautiful dimensional look.
2. Helps blend in imperfections (for very old, very damaged floors)
3. Will darken or yellow over time
4. Has a strong smell to some
5. Takes 12-24 hours to cure
6. Has a "thicker" appearance
1. Completely clear
2. Does not darken over time
3. Little to no smell
4. Takes 2 hours to cure
5. Has a "flatter" appearance
We can send you photos illustrating the differences to help you choose which is best for you! We do not charge for finish!
We do offer estimates at no charge! Because we know your time is valuable, we also offer the option to email us pictures of your floors with approximate square footage; this way you can get a better idea of what to expect. We are one of the very few companies (if any) that offer pricing upfront. We do not believe in bait n' switch or deceptive sales tactics.
All furniture needs to be removed from the floors you want us to restore. For our cleaning package, any large furniture left in place will be cleaned around. If you are choosing our Abrade & Recoat or Full Refinishing Package, ALL furniture needs to be removed prior to your wood specialists arrival. Some clients opt to have their furniture moved to areas of the home that are not being serviced, others elect to have their furniture placed into a POD storage container during the process. (POD storage is more for clients having the Full Refinishing Package completed as it can take more time.)
Only furniture that is on the floor in areas we are going to be sanding needs to be moved! Any wall hangings (TV's, Pictures, Mirrors) all can stay in place. We use plastic sheeting to cover counters, book shelves, closet shelves, stoves, etc!
For our Deep Clean and Polish and Abrade & Recoat Packages you can stay in your home while the work is being completed. These services usually take approximately a day to complete!
With refinishing & installation it depends on a couple of things: 1. The machinery is very loud and can be too noisy for some to want to stick around while we are working. 2. You would need to have areas of the home that are not being restored and have access to those areas without needing to walk in the rooms we are servicing. We can always work out a schedule with you if you need to sleep in the home and be finished by a certain time!
Refinishing usually takes about 3-4 days to complete! Furniture can be put back 48 hours after we complete your project! In most cases we are sanding, staining, and coating the floor with finish (Polyurethane). If you need your project completed faster we can use water-based finish. Water-based finish is just as durable as oil but it dries in 2 hours - this really cuts down the amount of time we have to wait in between coats. In comparison, oil-based finish takes 12-24 hours to cure enough to coat again.
All engineered & alternate wood floors qualify for our Deep Clean & Polish and Abrade and Recoat packages. In most instances, we can fully refinish Engineered Floors! - depending on the thickness of the veneer (top layer of wood). Contact us for more information!
We recommend never using any type of oil soap, wax, or high PH cleaners. (Ex. Murphy's Oil, Pledge, Mop & Glo). The most available PH neutral cleaner in stores is Swiffer Wet Jet Wood Cleaner - the best cleaner in our opinion is Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner (NOT the Bona Polish)!