Our full refinishing process is for flooring that has damage that cannot be cleaned or covered up. Examples of this include, but are not limited to:
In a lot of cases, your floors can still be salvaged by our Full Refinishing process! This package is also for clients who simply want to change the stain color because it doesn't match their style or theme in the home.
To fully refinish your floors means to have the old polyurethane and stain removed exposing bare wood. The top layer of wood is sanded several times using different grits to make sure it has a smooth, even texture. At this point in the process, you can choose which color best suits your needs or to leave it natural. Your wood specialist will advise you of the stain options. Timing of completion will depend on the size and scope of the job. All furniture will need to be removed from the floors to ensure there are no areas that don't get stained and coated. Many clients elect to have a POD Storage Container delivered to their home to temporarily store the furniture while the floors are being refinished. We also can provide moving services if needed!
Prices Starting at $3.50 per Sq Ft
1. The first step is to inspect and prep the floor removing any obstructions like protruding nails or staples.
2. We vacuum to remove all loose debris.
3. Next we will tarp-up all cabinets, counter tops, curtains, wall-hangings etc. with plastic sheeting to protect your home.
4. We will then remove all shoe moulding/quarter round to ensure we are able to sand right up to the baseboard. If we do not remove the shoe moulding it could cause a gap to form between the existing shoe moulding and the newly sanded floor.
5. Next, we will utilize our Dustless Refinishing System to sand the floor. We use a Belt Sander connected to a HEPA vacuum to sand the larger areas such as the middle of a room. An Edger machine, also connected to a vacuum, is then used to sand the edges/smaller areas.
6. Any corners or detailed areas that cannot be sanded with a machine will be scraped by hand with a scraping tool.
7. Then all edges of the room(s) will be finish sanded with a palm sander. This ensures that all sanding marks are removed and we are left with a smooth, even surface.
8. Thoroughly vacuum & tack the floor to remove any remaining dust particles.
9. We use a process called water popping which opens up the grain to prepare for conditioner & stain.
10. We then apply wood conditioner to prevent the stain from blotching and streaking - this step ensures a uniform and even stain color.
11. Apply the stain color of your choice with a buffer/by hand and let dry.
12. Next we apply our sealer to bond with and close the wood grains. The sealer provides for a smooth and even application of polyurethane. We then lightly abrade the sealer & vacuum/tack the floor.
13. We will apply 2 coats of our Premium Polyurethane (Gloss, Semi Gloss, Satin, Matte) - abrading, vacuuming/tacking in between coats to ensure adhesion and smooth texture.
(You will receive 3 Coats of Premium Polyurethane Total)
14. Next we install new shoe moulding/quarter round of your choice (white or wood). The wood shoe moulding or quarter round can be stained to match the floor or trim!
15. Lastly, we apply the last coat of our Premium Polyurethane! All of these steps create a durable, long lasting and beautiful floor!
Note: The gloss level will affect the appearance of your floor, but not its durability
Complete your project before the end of February 2024!
Engineered Flooring has an Aluminum Oxide finish. Aluminum Oxide is much tougher to sand vs Polyurethane on Solid Plank flooring; in addition, the wood used for the Engineered planks is much thinner. There is not a big margin for error when sanding - These 2 reasons are why the majority of hardwood companies do not sand these types of floors. Here at Hardwood Floor Restore we have the right skills and equipment to be able to get a beautiful result refinishing Engineered Flooring! Please give us a call today for pricing and details! 980-293-3948